Saturday, August 4, 2012

Peeing on My Trees

Remember Tawanda? In the movie Fried Green Tomatoes, she was the quiet, unassuming housewife named Evelyn Couch who couldn't even look at her own vagina.  Everyone thought she was a doormat.  Until one day ......



It happens to all of us.  That moment when we are sick and tired and just can't take it anymore.  Life's Back Up and Haul Ass Moment.

It happened to me this week. I was starting to feel like a big "Welcome" was tattooed on my forehead. So, I  spoke up. I stirred the pot. I made a nuisance of myself.  But, in the nicest possible way. And it sucked a little. Because I spoke my mind and then had to deal with the reactions of those to whom I spoke.

It was really uncomfortable because I am not that woman.  I am not the town crier.  I am the meek little mouse that usually says "yes sir" and "no ma'am" and lets it all go. Well, at least for the last 39 years, I did.

But something clicked in the last 48 hours.  I don't know if I decided that bitch begins at 40 or that I was inspired by the Olympics Volleyball Team.  Whatever it was, I let my guard down and lifted my voice up.

I'm President of a theatre organization, but the previous President is the Founder of said organization. I peed on his tree this week and I think a little splattered on him.  He says "we're cool" but that's dude for "you asshole."

I'm Chairperson of a PTA committee, and someone peed on my tree.  So, I let them know that territory was well-covered.  It freaked them out and now I've got to do a little wipe-up.  But message received.

I don't want people to think that I'm going to go all commando on them, but honestly, Tawanda is at full throttle and engaged.  If you have anything to ask me, I suggest you do it on bended knee while extending a chocolate pie towards my general direction.  'Cause homey don't play.

Until next time, keep crowin' and fight for your rights!

No comments:

Post a Comment